Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Glorious Role of a Nurse Aide

Like many nursing students, I obtained my nurse aide certification. This title makes the job sound amazing to nursing students. It seems like we get to hang out with nurses and help, or at least watch, them do all the cool stuff like IV's and shots. In reality, I get to wipe people's bums, give showers, play waitress and get physically worn down. I truly do love the residents, they are very dear to my heart. However, with the many mental and physical disabilities that are around these days, it can be a trying job. I have had explicit offers for "love", I have been bribed by residents to let them out of their unit, I have been kicked and punched, and also yelled at repeatedly. But at the end of the day, it doesn't matter how many Attends I have changed, how many bruises I have, or the fact that my back is killing me and my legs want to fall off. At the end of the day, I am satisfied knowing that the residents had someone they could talk to, someone to care for them as a person, and a whole staff of others ready to take on the next shift. To tell you the truth, I never wanted to work in an elderly care facility. I fought it tooth and nail because I have always wanted to be with infants and delivering mama's. But I am so very glad G-d brought this job to me, and these residents make my day every single day (all five that I have worked thus far).

No comments:

Post a Comment