Pages

Friday, July 22, 2016

Support Group

Back in Home State, I asked my counselor about getting into a support group. While she was supportive, she told me there were two minor issues with that desire, but that I could do whatever it is that I felt would help. She told me: 1) you may want to wait until you are more stable because it may produce more triggers than you are used to, and 2) there isn't one at this crisis center, but I can help you search for one, if you decide this is something you still want to pursue.

Long story short, I didn't go to a support group in Home State, but I continued on with counseling. I went to counseling for a little over 4 months (3 months of which was 2 times a week). Now, with the help and support of Nurse Dee, and my worsening struggles with the events that put me in counseling to begin with, I have searched for one in Small Town and found one!

I went to support group last night. It was small at first. At 5:45 (when it starts), there were the leader, one other survivor, and myself. Shortly after group started, 2 more ladies came. We talked about boundaries, which is something I had requested my counselor to teach me about several months ago. So, it was mostly just a refresher, but still helpful because those are things that are commonly a struggle and that are good to practice and be reminded of on an ongoing basis.

So, group was good. I plan on going back when I have the chance and don't have to be at work or anything. I hope it goes well. I hope that this is a good group that helps me make connections and brings some peace. Granted, if the only thing it does is get me out of the house, that's a pretty big win anyway.

2 comments:

  1. Yaaaay, you went! Congratulations and I'm so glad that it went smoothly. I want to say WELL DONE on following through on what we had discussed - with what you're going through right now you could have shaken off my suggestions and support because you could have become absorbed in what you're going through. It's alot to buck the feelings and seek out better, it's difficult to do that and so I commend you! I hope that you can make more group times (remember, you don't work all day every day) and you can make group a priority. Remember, you will sleep better if you FEEL better... and group just might be the thing that can get this done for you. I hope it does. I pray that it does. I wish you only well my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely slept better after group and I have two days a week of support groups that I can count myself as which sucks, because that's how intense the abuse was (fitting multiple categories), but it's also better because there is a chance I will be able to make at least one of them. Their times are right at shift change so on days I work, it'll be difficult, but they allow you to come late or leave early. Thanks for helping me and encouraging me to go!

    ReplyDelete