Pages

Friday, May 5, 2017

New Horizons

Hello all. It's been a good, long time since I've posted on here. I miss you guys but feel there is nothing interesting going on in my life.

I go about single, for my second year, and wanting a relationship, knowing that I'm not ready and only wanting a relationship because I'm bored. It's a real problem.

My hospital is angering me and I am deeply regretting signing a two year contract and a two year lease for my house. Let's preface this by mentioning that my non-profit hospital got bought out less than a year ago. Changes started slow, then began all at once. One of the newest changes by the Big Mean Company that took over a great Small Town Hospital is the banning of overtime along with the mass hiring of far too many staff members. For our 20 bed NICU, we have 7-8 nurses scheduled EVERY FUCKING NIGHT!!! We will never need 8 nurses unless we have 4-5 1:1 cases and all the other beds filled and that plumb doesn't happen. I have worked 1 night out of 3 scheduled nights for the last 2 weeks and I worked 2/3 the week before. Granted, corporate could not have foreseen, nor predicted this extreme shortage of patients, going on 3 months now, but they could have known that we would never need 8 nurses. At most, we need 5-6 when every blessed bed in the unit is packed and 3 rooms have twins and so we're over-crowded for what would be an acceptable amount of children in our unit.

Back to present day, I am job hunting. The problems with this are: 1) I signed a 2 year contract with the hospital, 2) there is one other hospital in town and no others within 2 hours of here 3) travel nursing won't hire you until you have been a nurse for 1 year for which I am 2.5 months short of, by then we will likely have more children and far less staff because everyone is looking for jobs elsewhere. We all have bills and most of the nurses are the sole/main income for themselves and their families/children. Praise the L-rd I saved my PTO and have been living below my means. I also praise the Good L-rd for allowing me to not get a car when I wanted to in April because I could not have afforded the car payments with no income!

I kid you not, the hospital take-over that I am living through is nearly as bad as the hospital take over in Grey's Anatomy where they began having massive walkouts of the nurses/doctors. Thing is, they are in Seattle where hospitals and opportunities abound. I live in a dead-end town with no hopes of better prospects, unless I move.

Anyone have experience in breaking leases and/or contracts?

If I could be working on school or living at home with my parents, I would have no problems. But, alas, I am in serious trouble. Add in that work has been my happy place and my sense of purpose and excuse to get out of the house. Now I've got very little to do. Don't worry though, I'm not planning on getting my house completely unpacked and put away any time soon. I don't play that game.



Today I am considering online dating just so that I would have someone to talk to.



Somebody save me from this pit of a town!!!



I have applied to several travel nursing companies, the local university that is looking for a clinical assistant, and the other hospital in town (that I don't trust with my license) just so that I could start getting L&D experience. We'll see how it goes. I can't keep down 2 full-time jobs and I cannot afford the taxes for that level of income, but I don't know what else to do. I need L&D experience and I might end up needing to decrease my hours to part-time in the NICU and in L&D (if I got the job). I don't know, I don't know, I don't know. I guess I'll just hope for the best and leave the planning to G-d. I don't even know what the best case scenario is, in this case, only G-d knows what is going to happen at all. I'm growing increasingly glad I have very few ties to this town (i.e. a boyfriend/fiance, children, schooling, a purchased house, etc). On the other hand, I feel as though my life is passing me by and I have nothing to show for it.

That's it. That's my entire update. I'll keep you in the loop if anything begins to come up in my life... in the future. Don't hold your breath, though.

1 comment:

  1. So your conundrum of taxes and shifts (including if you go for a new job - don't worry so much whether the jobs are p/t or f/t - and weighing those out.... solution.... put money away from every extra shift that you take and so when it comes to tax season, should you have to pay, you will have money put aside to pay if you need to, and if you have extra, then bank it towards next year and keep working it that way.... it always works out in your advantage this way!!! This is how hubby and I do it! Then, we don't have to worry about whether or not we should take the extra shift, we figure that we're going to make out more in the end by taking the shift, so long that we put some money away for taxes later.

    ReplyDelete