Pages

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Syringes!!!

Guys, we got to play with syringes and injections today!!! Oh man, you have no idea how excited I am especially because we didn't even know that we would get to do that today. We didn't really get to give any injections, we just practiced reconstituting a powdered injection. I worked with my 2 best gals who will be named N and E for now. E was one of the pre-nursing students that I met last year because they lived in the dorm room next to my guy friends. N is a girl that I met the first day of class and the three of us just kinda stick together now, it's perfect! I just wish N was in our lab group for BHA, but she is in the same lab room at the same time so I'm sure we can all work together anyway.

Back to the subject: they were trying to get the liquid out of one vial to put it into the vial containing the powdered "medicine" (it was fake just to help us practice) but they didn't know how to get the liquid out because you can't just pull it out with the syringe due to the lack of pressure because the vial is completely sealed. Long story short, I talked them through putting air into the syringe and then into the vial to get the liquid moved. Then, I talked them through the safety cap when they handed me the original cap. I proceeded to explain why you don't put the original cap on and 30 seconds later the teacher explained it to the class (he hadn't heard me). They both looked at me and started laughing because I knew all this stuff. Folks, I felt so smart being able to talk them through that simple little task. With this fun little exercise and actually beginning assessment lab yesterday, I am on cloud 9 right now with nursing school and as the knowledge increases, I get more and more excited for what comes next. I know it gets harder, but it will get more fun and exciting too.

I hope you guys like getting the updates about all of these silly little things that happen during nursing school because I looked through so many blogs looking for info like this but I didn't find anything. I know I am not so great at telling stories, but hey, it just reinforces that I need to be a nurse and not a writer, right? Give me feedback please about if you like what I'm writing or if you want me to go over other things. I appreciate any help anyone is willing to give me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment