Pages

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Daily Challenge

I crashed out last night after coming home from clinicals. I was exhausted!

So, I was unable to talk about yesterday's bunch of stuff and tell you my funny story.

Counseling was good. I talked about Jersey and my "difficult" professor. They took up about 10-15 minutes of the session, but I guess it was worth it because I realized some things by discussing it with someone who isn't a friend with Jersey and isn't in class with the professor. Yay! New perspectives!

Counselor says I'm doing well. We're going to start working on rationalizations. She told me that I'm doing really well and working really hard. She likes my college bucket list, Roomie's Thanksgiving List challenge, how I am doing with "friend" struggles, my dealings with the professor, and she told me it's okay to be flip-flopping all the time.

Apparently I go from having rational thoughts to survival mode frequently, and that is because my brain is confused with the PTSD. Survival mode is in the back, in the occipital lobe (from what I remember from anatomy and phys) while logical thought (where I used to live most of the time because I like it) is in the frontal lobe. So, my brain is trying to be normal, but then it decides it doesn't like how I used to be because it's too hard, so then it switches back to survival mode in the back. Meanwhile, I am left with my head spinning, whiplash, and major confusion and frustration at my lack of ability to be who I remember I used to be. C'est la vie, for the time being.

Normally, after counseling, I go to sit at Country Boy's grave. It was so cold yesterday that I stood there for 5 minutes, in my clinical whites because I have clinicals after, and started shivering so I left way early. I told Counselor that I felt it was weird and morbid. She told me it was actually really good because cemeteries are quiet, outside, peaceful, and there are plenty of ways to ground myself with nature, should I feel like I need to. Plus, I get vitamin D with being in the sun. Maybe next week it'll be warm enough to actually be able to sit with him again.

I ended up showing up to the hospital over an hour early. This was a great accident, because one of the other girls from my group was already there. We have a test tomorrow and so we were able to start studying and I learned a lot!!! Maybe I will do okay on this test. I hope so anyway. I just need to be able to stay in my frontal lobe and stop switching back to the occipital lobe for a couple more days so that I can study solidly and remember the information for this class that I need to know for the test and my future career.

Clinicals went well. When we first go there, I asked if I could go change into greens, just so I would be ready if I ended up being able to go to a c-section or something. My instructor said that was okay, so I went with the other girls who were on L&D with me and we went to change. You should know, that I am tall, and I have wide hips. Wide hips are from genetics, and also from a little "extra padding," a.k.a. fat. Plus, I'm 5'8" and mostly legs, with a short (proportionally speaking) torso. When we went in to go get scrubs, the only sizes that were left were extra-small tops and small bottoms along with the 2x and 3x tops and bottoms. Good grief. I spent 10 minutes looking through every pair of bottoms to find a pair that was medium or large. No such findings came about. So, I tried on the 2x and my friends told me no. I tried on the small pants and they were bursting at the seems around my ass and thighs. They also came up about halfway up my calves, WHEN STANDING!

I walked into the pre-conference room with my whole clinical group and I fake-whined to my instructor: "Instructor, I need new pants!!!" They all burst into uncontrollable laughter. Granted, it was hilarious, but regardless of how thick my skin is, some things still hurt. So, when they calmed down a little and my instructor gave me her badge so I could go get scrubs that fit, they burst into laughter as I was walking out. That stung a little bit because I'm self-concious about my butt and thighs. I fit into an x-small top, but my butt needs a medium and my long legs need a large. To have people crack up as I walk out and they can see my butt makes my high anxiety and ability to be easily embarrassed get sent into over-drive. I play a good sport, but that doesn't mean that someone laughing along doesn't get hurt in the end.

So, just the thing I needed on an already difficult day... people laughing. It was funny, I'll give you that. It just made me over-think it for the rest of the day and even still, a day later. Just breathe.

10 Thanksgivings (from yesterday):
  1. First test of the week is done and I was able to take it with really smart people (it was a group test).
  2. I had great night shift nurses and got to see an ultrasound/fetal echo.
  3. Counseling went well.
  4. I was able to go to Country Boy's grave site, even if just for a few minutes.
  5. I'm finding friends in unlikely situations and places.
  6. I started studying and did really well in our version of jeopardy (for the studying).
  7. Roomie is helping me on my road to recovery and we are setting goals before they are even assigned for counseling homework!
  8. Fake friends are dropping off while solid friends are coming to the surface because the fake friends are wearing them out too.
  9. My clinical instructor is absolutely wonderful.
  10. I am nearly done with one set of clinicals for the semester and my very last set of clinicals starts in about a week or two.

2 comments:

  1. Go easy on yourself - I know how hard we are on ourselves - they are laughing at the situation, not at you. I had a situation very similar to yours last semester - it's not easy I know.

    Has the counsellor given you coping mechanisms to get you out of your survival mode and into the logical side of you?

    Also - your question about whether I sleep - I do, but the opposite of everyone else - so I am awake to get little tyke off to school and then I go to sleep (unless I'm working and then I have to figure something out that works)! It's interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, you make me giggle. I know the night-life well, but it's not the party scene most people associate with "night-life".

    We are working on logical vs. survival on Friday (tomorrow) but she said she's seeing that I may be ready to try it out now. I guess we'll see. My mom has been working with me since I was a baby to get me thicker skin, and I have the knowledge that it's not meant to hurt me. It's just one of those days where I wasn't handling anything well and that seemed to set me back a bit more. I love my group though so it's okay.

    ReplyDelete